Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Response: "Do The Right Thing"

1. The color I was assigned was brown. I noticed that most of the steps, front porches, streets, doors and many of the buildings were this color. The interior of Sal’s pizzeria was also mainly brown.

2. I completely disagree with Mookie’s actions at the climax of the film. I was very surprised by what he did, which leads me to wonder why it caught me off-guard; after all, the entire film focuses on his negative qualities (irresponsible parenting, laziness, lack of work ethic, greed). I think that up until that point, he was shown as a self-absorbed character who didn’t seem to care much about taking sides, as long as he got what he wanted. His reaction to Radio Raheem’s murder was the first time we see him jolted out of his own disinterest, which made it hard to predict what he might do.

3. I didn’t necessarily see this as a political film. It felt like more of a commentary on how personal grievances can get out of hand, and how they affect the way people interact with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment